- What is artificial eye?
- Artificial eye or Art Eye is a custom made lens or shell which is made according to the patient's other eye to fit in disfigured eye. It gives natural and life like look.
- Who is an Ocularist?
- Ocularist is a person trained in the making & fabrication of custom artificial eye. He/She performs the procedure with details to make a most natural looking artificial eye.
- What an Art Eye does for a patient?
- When an Art Eye is fitted in the disfigured eye it looks like a natural eye. For general people it is difficult to make out the difference between the natural eye & Art Eye. Generally with the Art Eye patient is able to blink normally and the specially designed Art Eye moves like natural eye.
- What is the difference between ordinary/readymade artificial eye and Art Eye?
- We believe every patient is precious so an Art Eye is especially made for them. It is made with precision using high technology to provide most natural look to the patient. On the other hand ordinary/readymade artificial eye is made in factories to sell in the shops in bulk. It is almost impossible to find a piece which matches the fitting of patient's eye socket, size, shape, contour, color, Iris size, centeration etc altogether.
- What is the advantage of Art Eye?
- As it is mentioned above Art Eye is a custom made artificial eye fabricated using highest technologies. Art Eye looks like natural life like eye. It is nearly similar to patient's other eye. Patient can use it for long time without removal. Art Eye moves like natural eye and patient can blink normally over the Art Eye. Due to its MIM processing it is most comfortable artificial eyes.
- How long an Art Eye lasts?
- It is reported that with the age there are chances of change in eye tissues which can cause slight problem in fitting of prosthesis. We recommend to get a new Art Eye made after 5-7 years.
- Does an Art Eye need frequent removal?
- No. We recommend to use Art Eye as a continuous wear. Patient can easily sleep with the Art Eye in. Cleaning of Art Eye is recommended once in a month only.
- Does the Art Eye move like natural eye?
- Art Eye is made by MIM process to provide best possible eye movement to the patient. When an Art Eye is fitted over the remaining eye it makes a power grip with the eye and in result shows very good eye movement. To see the eye movement please see this video. (Link of video here)
How an Art Eye is made?
Procedure of making an Art Eye begins after examining the patient. We design a custom plan of making Art Eye for each patient according to his/her condition. First step is taking the impression of the eye socket which is used to prepare a dummy wax eye. This wax eye is tried in patient's eye socket and modified according to the other eye. Then eye is centred by placing an Iris button over the wax eye to find the exact location for cornea. With the help of this wax eye an acrylic eye is prepared which is painted according to the patient's other eye. This painted acrylic eye is laminated with very high quality of transparent acrylic so that color of Art Eye becomes permanent. After high grade polishing, detail inspection and ultrasonic cleaning it is dispensed to the patient.